On this very unique program you will be in a Women’s Prison in Kenya for your time volunteering with these women. You will be helping them to learn English, you will have the opportunity to help them learn life skills, like budgeting and business start up and how to keep the business running. Between 70% and 80% of the women in prison in Kenya are there for petty crimes, the most common being child neglect, this is when the mother leaves her child at home alone, this is mostly done in cases where they don’t have any food to eat and she needs to go find them something to eat.
SAFETY – It is safe!
Yes you will be in the prison alongside some women who are living their lives in prison due to petty crimes. You will never be alone with any prisoner at any time, you will always be with the guards while you are at the prison. You will not be living in the prison you will only be going there to volunteer for 4 hours a day Monday – Friday.
- Have a knowledge of budgeting and preparing for a new life
- Have knowledge of basic life skills
- Have a very open mind and be willing to accept these women as they are, human beings
- Be self motivated and goal orientated
Skills and knowledge are key to women’s survival after prison. Your role as a volunteer gives you the chance to support these women in their most difficult moments, which can make a real difference to their lives.
Our goal for this program to be able to have these women be self sustainable when they leave the prison and start a new life on the outside. We want them to be able to have the life skills to be able to work and support their families so that they do NOT return to prison.
- Safari in Kenya, visit the beautiful beaches of Mombasa and feed some Giraffes
- Learn to speak Swahili from the women you are helping
- Make a difference in life of a woman
- Gain valuable experience volunteering with these children
- Make new friends and memories that will last a lifetime
A fantastic organization!
~ Nadine Powell